Marble Arch circa 1896: Cumberland Gate stands at the north-east corner of Hyde Park, at the western end of Oxford Street, and was erected about 1744 at the expense of Cumberland Place and its neighbourhood. Here took place in August, 1821, a disgraceful conflict between the people and the soldiery at the funeral of Queen Caroline, when two people were killed by shots from the Horse Guards on duty. In the following year the unsightly brick arch and wooden gates were removed, and in their place some handsome iron gates were set up at a cost of nearly £2,000. These gates were removed in 1851, to make room for the Marble Arch. The Marble Arch had, up to that time, stood in front of the chief entrance to Buckingham Palace, bearing the Royal banner of England. This arch, which was adapted by Mr Nash from the arch of Constantine at Rome, cost £80,000, the metal gates alone costing £3,000. It was originally intended to have been surmounted by an equestrian statue of George IV. The material is Carrara marble, and it consists of a centre gateway and two side openings.