The Strand circa 1896: This famous thoroughfare stretches from Temple Bar to Trafalgar Square and was so named because it skirted the bank of the river, which is, however, now concealed by buildings. From early morning to past midnight the Strand is more frequented than any other London street. As all the world knows, it is the locality of the principal theatres, the law courts, the Inland Revenue Department, and not a few important newspaper offices, and many of the best shops. Entering the Strand from the east and passing the law courts and the site of Temple Bar, one comes to the church of St Clement Danes in the centre of the Strand, which was erected in 1688 from the designs by Wren. The tower, 115 feet in height, was added by Gibbs in 1719. The building is fine of its kind, but not extensive and it stands, as it were, in the centre of the roadway of the Strand, in line with the houses that form the southern side of Hollywell Street.