Haymarket theatre circa 1896: On the east side of the Haymarket, opposite Charles Street, stands the Haymarket Theatre, which dates from the year 1720, when an enterprising carpenter, named John Potter, built a small playhouse in this street on the side of the King's Head Inn. In 1820 the old edifice was pulled down, and the present building erected on almost the same site from a design by John Nash. The entrance is through a handsome portico, the entablature and pediment being supported by six Corinthian columns; above are circular windows. Under the portico are five doors, leading respectively to the boxes, pit, galleries, and box office. It was almost entirely rebuilt in 1878.